About Me

My photo
When i left school back then i was lucky enough to enroll on an engineering apprenticeship. I think this lead me in good stead. I was always one of those children that pulled things apart but actually put them back together again. My first engine given to me at the age of Seven, a Triang Princess Elizabeth. The rest as they say is History. Later in life i got back in to Model Railways and started building Pine Road. This could lead anywhere so i hope you enjoy my Blog.

Saturday 25 January 2020

Adams G6

We have Adams 02s, B4s, Radials, the "Bug" a couple of terriers and a Beattie well tank. In the cupboard for a few years has been sat an Alan Gibson G6 kit, thinking it's high time I got on with it, well, work has begun.
With an etch nickel chassis and a brass body it should be a nice kit to build. One concern, this is the first time I have used Gibson wheels as Romford/Markitts no longer supply 19mm, 16 spoke, short crank wheels, Doh! As you may be aware, Gibson wheels tend to be one use, ie: put em on, dont take em off again. I built and set up this chassis on my jig, I have not tested it yet, let's pray that it's ok, eek.
The chassis only has 2 spacers one at each end on the top of the chassis, I have added an "L" shape piece to the centre in a bid to stop the chassis folding in on its self, this also gives something for the motor to perch itself on, the brake hangers also help in this.
Also for me, a first, as it's having "beam" suspension on the 2 front axle. It will be driven from the rear axle using one of Chris Gibbons' High level Lo-loader compact+ Gearboxs and a 1420 Mashima motor, is it just me but the smaller motors seem to be better (quieter and more powerful) than there bigger brother.
All ready to be etch primed. The red tube is some heatshrink pushed into the bearings as a mask from the paint. Pick-up PCBs have been soldered in. I use double sided PCB for this, slightly tapered and gapped on one side, using the top side to solder to the side frames again, giving a more rigid chassis. Some masking tape will be attached to the gapped side ready to attach pick-ups after painting.
An hour ago, it was etch primed. I use Precision paints Q023 two pack etch primer, it's sticks to anything but be careful with it as it's evil stuff, a well ventilated room or better, in the garage and don't mix it up in a plastic pot, it will melt it, I won't say anymore.
All done, will leave for 24hours before the top coat goes on.
Please follow, subscribe and  comment, you will get a notification when I post again.
Thanks for looking.

No comments: