About Me

My photo
When i left school back then i was lucky enough to enroll on an engineering apprenticeship. I think this lead me in good stead. I was always one of those children that pulled things apart but actually put them back together again. My first engine given to me at the age of Seven, a Triang Princess Elizabeth. The rest as they say is History. Later in life i got back in to Model Railways and started building Pine Road. This could lead anywhere so i hope you enjoy my Blog.

Thursday 30 July 2020

00 Works Class '0330" 0-6-0 saddleback

Its here. 
Whats in the box? you might ask.
Be patient.
I have been eagerly awaiting this, from 00 Works, its the ex LSWR class 0330 in SR black, lined Green.
Isn't she stunning.
Its all cast so surprisingly heavy.
She wieghts in at 258g
Should all locos be built this way. All nicely screwed together. A coreless motor is fitted, although, im not convinced as to what all the fuss is about these. Running on Markitts wheels and axles, so easily repaired/replaced/cleaned etc.
The lining is very well done.



The only obvious thing is there are some 'pits' in the casting on the saddleback, being fair, castings can be a problem regarding this, i would prefer the wieght than a plastic moulding. 
My only other gripe is the single stage gearbox, its not great at slow speeds (or is that the coreless motor) If you intend on running it at 90 mph then it will (i have a feeling this might get swapped out at some point for something from Highlevel)
For a small company, built in the UK and a limited run, a good paint finish, crisp lining, it ain't half bad, a bit expensive but as an avid loco builder of kits, its going to cost you that in parts and you still have to build and paint it, etc.
I like it, perhaps now is the time to think, its better to have Two or Three well built locos than 10 plastic things bought at less than have the price.
9/10 that's my score. I'm not one to take a ruler to it and moan that the footplate is 1mm to short, like some might. It looks like an 0330 class, im happy.
Don' forget tomorrows post at 7.00pm.

No comments: