Improving the running qualities of the 00 Works 0330 class.
From building my first loco kit some 9 years ago and now on number 14, you tend to set yourself some sort of 'standard' as to how you think things ought to run and look. Don't get me wrong, i'm no rivet counter but if you are going to build yourself an engine then it really should run well, if its a shunting engine then its not a lot of point having the thing running at 90 mph but flatly refuses to crawl along a length of track.
Back in February when 00 Works announced that they were to release a Southern Class '0330' i couldn't resist, not quite right for my area but definitely fits in with my era. The old saying came in to play ' well its my layout' After a quick phone call to 00 works, the order was placed for a lined green, Black liveried one. Then a case of sitting back and eagerly awaiting its arrival.
Here you will find a link to a previous post i wrote of the exciting day of its arrival. you may want to click over, have a quick read and return here.
It's a cracking little model, rather expensive but hey, where am i going to find another. I believe some years ago 'Chivers' produced a kit for one but the chances of finding one now is probably going to be virtually impossible, and again what it cost to build the thing.
After reading through 00 Works website it's all handbuilt, screwed together a coreless motor and a one stage gearbox. Now, lets just read that last bit through again.
"A CORELESS MOTOR and a STAGE 1 GEARBOX
Remember what i was saying earlier about how you tend to set yourself standards about how you expect a loco to perform. Time for a rant, Somebody please tell me what all the fuss is about, with coreless motors, i just don't get it, rant over. Getting back on topic, a stage 1 gearbox. Alarm bells sort of rang or at least tinkled in ones head " not sure how this is going to run"
Bearing in mind that the loco arrived on the Thursday morning, a small running session that afternoon and by Friday afternoon its in bits. I can hear you all shouting at me saying "What the hell are you doing, just payed close to 300 quid for a loco and you've pulled it to bits, are you mad ?"
Yes, probably. Well, it didn't meet my running standards did it, as i say, whats the point of having a shunting engine that doesn't shunt. Now we are getting to the nitty gritty of what the post is supposed to be all about, that's if any of you are still reading this???
The massively big question was. Could i possibly fit a Highlevel Gearbox and Mashima motor in this loco?
With the chassis removed from its body and one frame removed to use as a template..........
..........i cut Two pieces of 0.40mm Nickel silver sheet and temporarily soldered them together and then screwed these to one of the original frames. The problem here or should i say "the reason for making new frames" The chassis is to narrow to accept the Highlevel Gearbox, the original frames are also to thick to widen them out, you loose all your 'side play' that's if there was anything left to use, hence the reason for new side frames.
The Chassis, well at least one side of it, still screwed to the new frames after cutting them out. Using the rear axle hole to find the centre, i didn't trust the other Two holes but used the Connecting rods to set up and mark/centre punch and drill the other Two. I also elongated the centre axle hole just by a couple of thou with a length of sprung wire resting on the top of the axle to act as some sort of 'compensation' this keeps the centre axle firmly on the track.
......with wheels, motor and gearbox fitted, this is what we have.
There is quite a decent size of 'hole' for the motor and gearbox to fit up through.
Only a small amount of material has to be removed from the underside of the cab floor to get it up inside. we also had to remove a portion of the 4 small tabs, Two at each end as the chassis is wider they are in the way.