About Me

My photo
When i left school back then i was lucky enough to enroll on an engineering apprenticeship. I think this lead me in good stead. I was always one of those children that pulled things apart but actually put them back together again. My first engine given to me at the age of Seven, a Triang Princess Elizabeth. The rest as they say is History. Later in life i got back in to Model Railways and started building Pine Road. This could lead anywhere so i hope you enjoy my Blog.

Saturday 20 February 2021

Lima class 31 refurb for 2021, where is it going to end.

Where is it going to end with this Lima class 31.
I thought the body was done but decided to do some more mods to it.
I decided, with great trepidation to carve all the plastic nuggets off the roof, those representing the roof hatch handles and replace them with actual wire handles, that's using 0.33 wire. 27 of the buggers there are, yes that's 27. This was suggested to me from a friend of mine, you know who you are. After blowing the roof over again I have to say, it does look good.
Ok, so let's get on with the cab detail.
it's done. A whole day of cutting bits of plastic.
Looking at the real 31420, I have made a boo boo, in 1980 it still has it's side body mouldings, ok here we go again.
Now it has them on the model.
What's the thinnest thing one has to hand, paper isn't it, well that's exactly what I have used. First coated with a layer of varnish, painted then another coat of varnish on top. Then all one has to do is cut a few 2mm wide strips.
I don't care what anyone says but the front buffer beam just ain't right is it. It's seriously lacking detail. Besides just noticing we have a falling star.
That's better, just have to do the other end now. Not to sure about the buffers, looking a shade to long. Pipes have been made by the one and only, that'll be me then. Will explain in the next post how I did them.

I bet you can't wait for the next exciting instalment of this, can you ?


No comments: