About Me

My photo
When i left school back then i was lucky enough to enroll on an engineering apprenticeship. I think this lead me in good stead. I was always one of those children that pulled things apart but actually put them back together again. My first engine given to me at the age of Seven, a Triang Princess Elizabeth. The rest as they say is History. Later in life i got back in to Model Railways and started building Pine Road. This could lead anywhere so i hope you enjoy my Blog.

Sunday 21 February 2021

Vacume/air pipes, how I make them.

A couple of people have asked where I get my vac/air pipes from, well I actually make them. As long as you can solder they are easy enough to do.
I can't take credit for this idea as someone told me years ago how to do it but for the life of me I can remember who.
So, moving on.
You need some 0.7 straight nickel silver wire and some 0.33 for the smaller ones.
Clamp about 5mm or so in a vice and add a spot of flux.
I use this, 29swg copper tinned wire, bought from Maplins years ago, not cheap but has lasted ages. I would say fuse wire would be just as good.
Solder the end to your length of straight wire.
Wind one around the other to the length one requires.
Then flood with solder, not to much as you want to keep the ribbed detail.
Shape to your requirements using a pair of round nose pliers and cut to length.
You should end up with something like this.
Drill your hole in the buffer beam and insert, I usually flood the back of the beam with Araldite.
Paint using a Dark Grey, not black, for added effect you can add a dab of yellow or red paint to each end to represent the connectors.
Job done. Simples.

No comments: