About Me

My photo
When i left school back then i was lucky enough to enroll on an engineering apprenticeship. I think this lead me in good stead. I was always one of those children that pulled things apart but actually put them back together again. My first engine given to me at the age of Seven, a Triang Princess Elizabeth. The rest as they say is History. Later in life i got back in to Model Railways and started building Pine Road. This could lead anywhere so i hope you enjoy my Blog.

Sunday 14 February 2021

Lima class 31 refurb for 2021. A bit more.

Continuing on from the last post, we have done a bit more to the Lima Class 31.
We have a coat of paint. Using Railmatch paints I have added a tiny spot of black to the Blue as I always think it looks a bit bright.

Doing the yellow first.
Not a great lover of painting yellow, this went on really well.
Masking up we proceed to the Blue.
Then when dry, a spot of weathering on the roof. Might as well while the airbrush is out.
Adding the decals then some more weathering on the sides, blackening off the grills and adding some rust spots.
Not forgetting the cab ends of course.
She has become 31 420.
The next thing was to punch out some white translucent discs for the domino headcode box, not forgetting we are putting lights in behind here.
So that's the body pretty much done, just waiting for some ETH leads to arrive.
What's next then. Somebody once told me Diesels are easy ' no they aint' Cab detail, well, it's know different than making a backhead for a steam loco, it's just that there's two of the buggers.
I bought these, I got four actually, you never know.
Searching around on the tinterweb looking for pictures of the cab detail. I sort of drew something out and developed ideas in ones head as to what was possible.
Here I also must thank 
https://westhalton.wordpress.com/
For giving me some ideas. His blog is definitely worth a look.
Making up the bulk heads, a bit of trial and error needed here to get a good fit.
I have spent all afternoon cutting up very small pieces of plastic, look what we have produced.
Don't forget the bulk heads have to be handed.
And now in primer.
Ready to paint and pick out the detail bits tomorrow.
This has been a good project. Still lots to do. Buffer beam detail next perhaps.


No comments: