About Me

My photo
When i left school back then i was lucky enough to enroll on an engineering apprenticeship. I think this lead me in good stead. I was always one of those children that pulled things apart but actually put them back together again. My first engine given to me at the age of Seven, a Triang Princess Elizabeth. The rest as they say is History. Later in life i got back in to Model Railways and started building Pine Road. This could lead anywhere so i hope you enjoy my Blog.

Monday 26 April 2021

Dapol's Class 73 and it's pick-ups.

Dapol and there Class 73 its a lovely model but it's pick-ups let it down. It's very sweet running but I have had no end of problems getting it to pick up power to the point it dosent come out very often.
Have I found a solution? Whether anyone else has come up with a solution, I wouldn't know, I didn't look.
I sat down with it last night to try and resolve the problem once and for all and, yes I think this works.
It does involve some soldering so I am not responsible if you end up melting gears etc.
Remove the bogie frames, they unclip from each end. It involves drilling Four 0.3mm holes in the chassis side frames a bit behind each wheel, you need some 'springyness' in the wipers. Bending up and pushing through some 0.3mm nickel silver wire through the holes and soldering it to the brass bar that runs along each side of the bogie.
Bend the wipers round. You just need them to rest against the wheel backs.
I bend a small kink on the ends so as not to grind a groove in the wheel backs.
Do all Eight replace the bogie frames and job done.
A sweet running Dapol Class 73.

No comments: