About Me

My photo
When i left school back then i was lucky enough to enroll on an engineering apprenticeship. I think this lead me in good stead. I was always one of those children that pulled things apart but actually put them back together again. My first engine given to me at the age of Seven, a Triang Princess Elizabeth. The rest as they say is History. Later in life i got back in to Model Railways and started building Pine Road. This could lead anywhere so i hope you enjoy my Blog.

Sunday 20 January 2019

A Test Track

I thought it was high time that i had a 'Test Track' nothing fancy, just a length of track to test stuff on.
I should be adding details to Exton Quay 
Exton Quay
or, finishing my Lswr Terrier, like adding balance weights, painting the wheels and putting it all back together. 
Lswr Terrier
Anyhow, as i say a test track, nothing fancy! 
Scrounging a piece of ply from work (shhhh) 4ft long by 100 mill wide, i have a test track, but nothing fancy.

   As any modelist knows, things in this business can get somewhat out of hand.
I know, i could add a crossover to test rolling stock through pointwork, it would be a good idea to make it switchable between DC and DCC as Parkstone is DCC, i wouldn't have to set up the layout to test locos. I could add a programme track that can be switched in and out to set up DCC chipped locos.
I take lots of photos as well, of anything i build, mainly to post up here for all you modelists to gawp at. We could add a spot of plantage, ballast the track and paste a length of Backscene to the wall behind.
But nothing fancy! 
After asking many people, What is the definition of 'Finescale'?
I have another question
What is the definition of a layout?

OH DEAR, i said nothing fancy, Really!
There is of course one other good thing that has come out of this, my workbench is spotless, everything has a home and in its place.
I will enjoy while it lasts.
Test Track
Well, its definitely a Test Track, its tested me. I have used the new Peco Bullhead Finescale (that word again) track and Two points, not sure i will buy anymore, boy they are expensive, i was working on the assumption that if stock runs through these it should run through anything including the ones i build. 
One thing of note with this track, the rail had jumped out of the chairs in a couple of places.

Track duly laid, how are we going to wire all this up.
Lots of bits of paper and a lot of head scratching later, i finally worked it out.
Below is my sketch, if you can work it out, it does work.
Wiring Diagram
You will need Three DPDT switches to make it work. As i have an NCE Power Cab controller, you could replace switch 1 with one of their Auto Switches, but at about 14 quid, nah.
I have used an extra switch to change the frog polarity for the points
The control panel itself, it works YEAH! no smoke and nothing went bang.
DC/DCC control panel
So, back to the layout, sorry, meant to say 'Test track'
An all in one piece of track to test carriages, wagons, Dc locos, Dcc locos, programme locos, take photos in a scenic surrounding.
Not bad for a weekends work.
test track

test track

test track
 I've had this bag of lichen (rubberised horse hair) for years, know one really uses it any more, its a bit old hat now but, hey found a use for it, just finishes of the edge a treat.
So, there we are, no EXCUSES now for things not to run properly 


No comments: