About Me

My photo
When i left school back then i was lucky enough to enroll on an engineering apprenticeship. I think this lead me in good stead. I was always one of those children that pulled things apart but actually put them back together again. My first engine given to me at the age of Seven, a Triang Princess Elizabeth. The rest as they say is History. Later in life i got back in to Model Railways and started building Pine Road. This could lead anywhere so i hope you enjoy my Blog.

Wednesday 17 April 2019

Adams G6 part 4

I'm not perfect by any means, i have painted it in the wrong livery.
I FORGOT completely FORGOT!

Mr Drummond has Two, yes Two liveries.
I know this. I do
So why did you paint your G6 in Drummond Loco Passenger Green.
Anyway,
I have used it as a test bed. Could i paint and line out the rather luxurious livery that Donald decided upon from the end of 1895?
Not all is lost as the G6 and 02s were very similar so the body could get put onto an 02 chassis.
Back to the big question.
Purple/Brown borders with White/Black/White lining on splashers, Tanks, most on the rear of bunker, front of cab. I cant find anything about rear of cab. Tops of tanks and slashers are black according to the Southern Style book by John Harvey, Part One, London and South Western Railway.
Some people think that tops of tanks and splashers are Purple/Brown, Whos right, I wasn't around in 1895 so cannot comment.
On what turned out to be a rather poor surface to paint on, I used Drummond Loco Green from Precision Paints sprayed through an airbrush, the Black was then brushed in, and then Two coats of GLOSS varnish was applied.

The body was then masked up in stages to apply the Purple/Brown borders using Two Humbrol colours mixed 50/50. 

I also sprayed a small sheet of transfer paper using the Purple/Brown colour and using a Bow pen, marked some white lines out. Seal after with gloss varnish, these were then cut out and the transfer used for the Boier bands. 
Digital cameras are cruel pieces of kit. 
The rest was done using a Bow pen.
For a first attempt i am rather pleased with myself. Its not perfect but at least i've had a go and surely with practice it will only get better.

I have to give Ian Rathbone a mention, if you need to know anything about Painting and lining, his book is a one stop shop of any information. funnily enough its called
A Modellers Handbook of
Painting and Lining.
I cant recommend it enough. 

No comments: