About Me

My photo
When i left school back then i was lucky enough to enroll on an engineering apprenticeship. I think this lead me in good stead. I was always one of those children that pulled things apart but actually put them back together again. My first engine given to me at the age of Seven, a Triang Princess Elizabeth. The rest as they say is History. Later in life i got back in to Model Railways and started building Pine Road. This could lead anywhere so i hope you enjoy my Blog.

Thursday 24 October 2019

Dapol's Class 73 running issues

My Class 73 from Dapol has always had running issues. Many tests and playing around didn't solve the problem. One afternoon was taken up to try and get to the bottom of this. 
Running each boggie on to a piece of paper, as soon as the first axle rode up on the paper it would just stall and I noticed that it was practically  lifting the loco off the track,  balancing on the rear axle only.
The boggies are not pivoted from the centre point but just in front of the two inner axles. There are 4 plastic lugs on each boggie for it to ride on, this limits any sideways, up and down movement of the boggie. Me being me, I cut off the 2 front lugs on each bogie and haypresto, plenty of for and aft movement.
Redoing the paper test, wow problem solved.
Really, that easy. I have been playing with this, on and off for weeks.
Further tests will be carried out, may have to attach a piece of spring wire but so far its looking good.

No comments: